Friday, February 3, 2012

FASCIATION

This is probably one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I had read about it years ago and have been searching for years to see one of these and finally it happen 2 days ago!! I am sure you are all familiar with the Saguaro cactus. These giant sentinels of the desert are so fascinating to me. A saguaro without arms is called a spear and it usually takes up to 75 years to develop a sidearm. The arms are grown to increase the plant's reproductive capacity. However, rarely fasciation takes place. Fasciation (or cresting) is a condition of plant growth in which the apical meristem becomes elongated perpendicularly to the direction of growth, producing flattened, ribbon-like, crested or elaborately contorted tissue. It is caused by mutation in the meristematic cells, bacterial infection, mite or insect attack. I can't begin to tell you how excited I became upon finally seeing one of these. It was truly a gift of a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment